1. How much force is needed to accelerate a 66 kg skier at 2 m/sec2?
2. What is the force on a 1000 kg elevator that is falling freely at 9.8 m/sec2?
3. What is the acceleration of a 50 kg object pushed with a force of 500 newtons?
4. The mass of a large car is 1000 kg. How much force would be required to accelerate the car at a rate of 3 m/sec2?
5. A 50 kg skater pushed by a friend accelerates 5 m/sec2. How much force did the friend apply?
6. A force of 250 N is applied to an object that accelerates at a rate of 5 m/sec2. What is the mass of the object?
7. A bowling ball rolled with a force of 15 N accelerates at a rate of 3 m/sec2; a second ball rolled with the same force accelerates 4 m/sec2. What are the masses of the two balls?
8. If a 60 kg person on a 15 kg sled is pushed with a force of 300 N, what will be person’s
9. A force of 20 N acts upon a 5 kg block. Calculate the acceleration of the object.
10. An object of mass 300 kg is observed to accelerate at the rate of 4 m/s2. Calculate the force required to produce this acceleration.
11. A 5 kg block is pulled across a table by a horizontal force of 40 N with a frictional force of 8 N opposing the motion. Calculate the acceleration of the object.
12. An object of mass 30 kg is in free fall in a vacuum where there is no air resistance. Determine the acceleration of the object.
13. An object of mass 30 kg is falling in air and experiences a force due to air resistance of 50 newtons.
a. Determine the net force acting on the object and
b. calculate the acceleration of the object.
14. A student pushes on a crate with a force of 100 N directed to the right. What force does the crate exert on the student?
15. A force of 200 N is exerted on an object of mass 40 kg that is located on a sheet of perfectly smooth ice.
a. Calculate the acceleration of the object.
b. If a second object identical to the first object is placed on top of the first object, what acceleration would the 200 N force produce?
16. Just before opening her parachute a skydiver of mass 50 kg reaches terminal velocity. Calculate the force of air resistance.
17. For a person who has a mass 60 kg, calculate the weight in Newtons and in pounds.
18. An object of mass 10 kg is accelerated upward at 2 m/s2. What force is required?