PRESSURE IN LIQUIDS
Take g = 10 N/kg
1. What is the pressure on a deep sea diver 150 m below the surface of the sea?
(Density of sea water = 1100 kg/m3)
2. What would be the pressure 150 m down a pipe filled with oil?
(Density of oil = 800 kg/m3)
3. If the greatest pressure that a diving suit could stand was 800 000Pa (above atmospheric) what is the maximum depth that a diver could use this diving suit in fresh water (Density of fresh water = 1000 kg/m3)
6. Why is doing a ‘belly flop’ in diving so painful?
7. Draw a diagram of a hydraulic jack and explain how it works.
8. Draw a diagram of a hydraulic brake and explain how it works.